Skip to main content

The Miracle

The ringing of the phone cut into Aadya's concentration. She sighed in irritation, she so wanted to finish this portion of her thesis before Ankit came home from school.

"Hello? Yes, this is Aadya. Oh hello, Mrs. Gupta. Really? Today? Oh wow. Yes, yes, of course we will be there. Give us a couple of hours please. Thank you!" Aadya hung up in a daze. It was happening. It had taken five long years but they had finally got a call. She couldn't believe it. With trembling hands she dialed her husband's number.

"Sunil? Its me. We got the call. They want us to come as soon as possible. I'll ask Papa to pick up Ankit. How soon can you pick me up? Perfect. I'll be ready. "

Sunil and Aadya were married since 2007. They had been blessed with a baby boy Ankit who was now seven years old. One of the main things that had cemented their relationship was their shared desire to adopt a baby girl. They both felt very strongly about issues of gender discrimination and sex-selective abortions in their country and wanted to play a part in tipping the scales to the positive side. When Ankit was two they had started exploring the idea and had been taken aback at the long wait-lists in almost all the orphanages. While some of them allowed them to register, others were not even keen to permit that. After five years they had finally had a Home Study where the inspection officer had met them and their extended family.

Aadya looked around the house. A baby? It had been seven years since Ankit was a baby. They would have to buy everything new, rummage around to see if she had saved any of Ankit's baby stuff, they had to get clothes, diapers...Aadya felt herself panic and took a deep breath to calm down. She was putting the cart before the horse. They had to go see the baby and then decide. One thing at a time.

A couple of hours later Sunil and Aadya stared down at the angelic face of what could be their daughter. She was so tiny and looked so fragile. Aadya felt a wave of compassion wash over her. Who could abandon such a sweet baby? She tore herself away from the crib as the orphanage in-charge led them into her office.

"I will be very honest with you. The baby is quite sick. She had been left out in the cold all night and we only discovered her the next morning. I would like you to have a word with our doctor as well as get her examined by your pediatrician before taking any decision." Aadya felt her heart sink as she heard the words. A sick baby? How would they handle her? What if she didn't get better? Questions and doubts raced through her head.

The orphanage doctor delivered the same verdict. The baby had a host of medical issues like thyroid and problems resulting from over-exposure to the cold all night. She was underweight and weak. Sunil and Aadya next took the baby to their family pediatrician who gave an even more grim verdict and strongly advised them against the adoption.

On the way back to the orphanage, Aadya looked at the little baby sleeping peacefully in her arms. This child had been born with a destiny which didn't include her birth parents. But what was to say that she wouldn't thrive in a loving family environment. So what if she was sick right now, did that mean she shouldn't have a chance to find a place in a happy home? Did the odds that were stacked against her at birth have to continue to be so?

"Sunil, let's keep her. We'll deal with whatever has to be done."

"You're sure?"

"Yes, very. She's meant to be ours." Even as she said it, the baby opened her eyes and looked at Aadya as if to say 'there you are.'

And so little Aaira came home to Sunil, Aadya and Ankit. Within three months she was like any other baby, happy and healthy with all parameters normal. And each day that they looked at her, Sunil and Aadya thanked God for the miracle that they had taken a chance on and one that had filled the lives of all she touched with love, laughter and joy.

It is believed that souls choose the homes and families they are born into. But some souls are born as miracles to people who have no biological connection to them. And it is these miracles which restore one's faith in all that is kind and good and decent. The long wait of five years was, in hindsight, the universe conspiring to ensure that Aaira found her way into the family that she was meant to be with. A miracle, that was always meant to be...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The 1st Step

It’s a journey which began with the news that I was pregnant.  While I was hoping for it, there was a frisson of apprehension which ran down my spine.  What next? What would I need to do now to ensure that the baby developed well? What to eat? What to avoid? How much to sleep? To exercise or not and how much? And thus began the saga of questions which is so much a part of becoming a parent. Nothing really prepares you for the months to follow. The nervous anticipation of the first visit to the doctor. The poignancy of the first ultrasound. The dread of the endless blood test reports. And of course all the horror stories of childbirth and delivery. Somewhere down the line I realised that the more I read and talked to people the more apprehensive I got. Everyone had something different to say; little snippets of wisdom which became a gigantic mass of nerves within me. Should I opt for a C-sec or a natural birth? Would I be able to withstand the pain? Should I take an epidural? The

Children and the Sense of Entitlement

I went to a kids’ birthday party a few days ago. Along with mountains of food there were the usual party games. I sat and watched while the kids ran around and played musical chairs amidst squeals of excitement. At the end of the game the winner proudly accepted her prize while we all clapped. However the next minute the child who lost was also given a prize much to my surprise. Later I asked the host why this was so and she replied that the child who lost shouldn’t feel bad. I walked away feeling dissatisfied with the whole event. As I was chatting with my five year old daughter later in the day I realized that this incident actually showed what was wrong with the current generation. We talk about how kids are growing up spoilt and with a sense of entitlement but aren’t we only responsible for this? In the attempt to prevent a child from feeling bad for losing in a game, what we are doing is telling the child that it’s okay to not make an effort to do better. While the child who’s won

Back to Work

I have always been someone who has enjoyed her work tremendously. Not only did I continue working throughout my pregnancy, I also was in office till the last day. So when I went on maternity leave I wondered how I would adjust to not having a routine to follow. What would mornings be like without getting ready for work?   Of course all these musings were before the baby came so I really had no idea what was in store. Still I spent the first month swinging between enjoying getting to know my baby and being frustrated at not having an office to go to. I was sure that when my leave ended I would be only too happy to be back at work. As days turned into weeks my little one changed from being just a crying, pooping, sleeping bundle into a person. She started exhibiting definite personality traits; engaging us in guessing who she inherited them from. She started sleeping more and crying less. She started figuring out that her hands and feet were attached to her body and she could move