Skip to main content

Children and the Sense of Entitlement

I went to a kids’ birthday party a few days ago. Along with mountains of food there were the usual party games. I sat and watched while the kids ran around and played musical chairs amidst squeals of excitement. At the end of the game the winner proudly accepted her prize while we all clapped. However the next minute the child who lost was also given a prize much to my surprise. Later I asked the host why this was so and she replied that the child who lost shouldn’t feel bad.

I walked away feeling dissatisfied with the whole event. As I was chatting with my five year old daughter later in the day I realized that this incident actually showed what was wrong with the current generation. We talk about how kids are growing up spoilt and with a sense of entitlement but aren’t we only responsible for this? In the attempt to prevent a child from feeling bad for losing in a game, what we are doing is telling the child that it’s okay to not make an effort to do better. While the child who’s won ends up feeling that it’s not worth the effort to have won.

I am not one of those who push her child to come first but a little bit of healthy competition never hurt anyone. When I was growing up I knew that the rewards were equal to the efforts I put into a task; I was never told that irrespective of my efforts I would still get something.

As more and more parents are working and becoming busy with their lives, somewhere we are ending up giving our children an unfair sense of entitlement. As a result when they go out into the big, bad world and face real life challenges, they find themselves ill-equipped to deal with the same. A promotion denied or a percentage not achieved is enough to make them feel inadequate and throw them into the deep recesses of depression. A friend of mine who is a college professor told us how common depression has now become among young adults. The crux of it being that they cannot accept the difference between their expectations and reality.

My daughter started skating a year ago and became quite adept at it. We took her for a few competitions, more to give her exposure and increase her confidence than to have her actually win anything. In the first competition she won a medal but in the second competition she started crying just before her turn came. When we coaxed the reason out of her she said it was because she knew she wouldn't win since there were older kids also participating. That was a wake up call for me.

I sat her down and explained to her that it’s okay to come second too, because it gives someone else a chance to come first. I told that that if she only always came first then life would be very boring because there would be nothing to look forward to.

The childhood shapes the rest of a child’s life. As parents we need to ensure that children not only understand that it’s okay to lose sometimes, but that it’s actually good to let others win also. This will encourage them to strive to be better while simultaneously making them magnanimous in defeat. Let the coming generation not be one to fall apart at the slightest stress or crossover into being violent at being denied something. And the only way to secure this is by starting when they are young.

In today's day and age, our responsibilities as parents are tremendous. We will always want the best for our children, but we also need to ensure they don't grow up believing that they are automatically entitled to it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The 1st Step

It’s a journey which began with the news that I was pregnant.  While I was hoping for it, there was a frisson of apprehension which ran down my spine.  What next? What would I need to do now to ensure that the baby developed well? What to eat? What to avoid? How much to sleep? To exercise or not and how much? And thus began the saga of questions which is so much a part of becoming a parent. Nothing really prepares you for the months to follow. The nervous anticipation of the first visit to the doctor. The poignancy of the first ultrasound. The dread of the endless blood test reports. And of course all the horror stories of childbirth and delivery. Somewhere down the line I realised that the more I read and talked to people the more apprehensive I got. Everyone had something different to say; little snippets of wisdom which became a gigantic mass of nerves within me. Should I opt for a C-sec or a natural birth? Would I be able to withstand the pain? Should I take an epidural? The

Back to Work

I have always been someone who has enjoyed her work tremendously. Not only did I continue working throughout my pregnancy, I also was in office till the last day. So when I went on maternity leave I wondered how I would adjust to not having a routine to follow. What would mornings be like without getting ready for work?   Of course all these musings were before the baby came so I really had no idea what was in store. Still I spent the first month swinging between enjoying getting to know my baby and being frustrated at not having an office to go to. I was sure that when my leave ended I would be only too happy to be back at work. As days turned into weeks my little one changed from being just a crying, pooping, sleeping bundle into a person. She started exhibiting definite personality traits; engaging us in guessing who she inherited them from. She started sleeping more and crying less. She started figuring out that her hands and feet were attached to her body and she could move