Skip to main content

Gender Bias-Fight it First at Home.

My daughter was a few weeks old when a friend dropped in with her child and nanny. As my friend sat cooing to the baby, her nanny started chatting with me. Within a few minutes she asked me when I was planning a second baby. My pregnancy and delivery traumatized body actually shrunk away in horror from her words. I laughed and said I wasn't even sure if I would have a second baby! Before I knew it she had scooted near me and told me in no uncertain terms not to be foolish. According to her if I didn't have a second baby (read son) then who would I leave everything to? I didn't know whether to be shocked or amused but told her I would leave it to my daughter. I can still still see the look of horror on her face. She told me in no uncertain terms that daughters weren't supposed to be left anything to, they belonged to their husbands. When I asked her what if my second baby was also a girl she said so keep having till you produce a son. She apparently had 4 daughters and her youngest was a son!

The whole episode left a bad taste in my mouth. As I looked at my daughter's angelic face, I wondered if this centuries old gender discrimination was something she too would have to face. Or could I be hopeful that things would change with time? More importantly, could I do anything to help things change? It is not only the uneducated class who hold such beliefs. Someone I know had a daughter from her previous marriage and then remarried. She very categorically stated that she would find a way to determine the sex of her next child and would only proceed with the pregnancy if it were a boy. Her logic was that a son was required to secure her place in her new home. This was a well educated, professional woman talking.

We often blame men for their role in not treating a woman as equal, but have you ever thought of where this mindset starts from? A man is not born thinking women are unequal, he is taught that, first and foremost, at home; a lesson which is then subtly reinforced over the years.

When my daughter was 3.5 years old I had a baby boy. My husband was a bit disappointed. He had visions of two little girls, who would dress in cute frocks with matching bows!! In fact, whenever anyone congratulated us and said "Your family is now complete." he became quite ferocious in telling them that the family would have been complete even if our second baby had been a daughter. I was more ambivalent in the matter-it was nice to have a different experience and trust me, even as babies there's a world of difference between boys and girls.

Today I ensure that if there are chores I expect my daughter to do, I have the same expectations from my son. At two he already knows how to pick up the plate and put it in the sink and how to clean up his toys once he's done playing with them. In fact, my daughter often bullies him into cleaning up her toys too. And I don't expect any praise for the way I am raising him, because that is the way I would raise any child, their gender just doesn't come into play.  A friend of mine had a baby soon after I did. Her firstborn is also a daughter and the second one was a boy. One day she said that it was her fervent desire that we raise our sons in a way that decades down the line, some woman offers a heartfelt thanks to us. What a powerful sentiment.

It's easy to complain about everything that is not right in our society. It's so much harder to actually do something about it. For me at least, ensuring my home is free of gender bias, is my small way of making the world a better place for my children, BOTH my children.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The 1st Step

It’s a journey which began with the news that I was pregnant.  While I was hoping for it, there was a frisson of apprehension which ran down my spine.  What next? What would I need to do now to ensure that the baby developed well? What to eat? What to avoid? How much to sleep? To exercise or not and how much? And thus began the saga of questions which is so much a part of becoming a parent. Nothing really prepares you for the months to follow. The nervous anticipation of the first visit to the doctor. The poignancy of the first ultrasound. The dread of the endless blood test reports. And of course all the horror stories of childbirth and delivery. Somewhere down the line I realised that the more I read and talked to people the more apprehensive I got. Everyone had something different to say; little snippets of wisdom which became a gigantic mass of nerves within me. Should I opt for a C-sec or a natural birth? Would I be able to withstand the pain? Should I take an epidural? The

Children and the Sense of Entitlement

I went to a kids’ birthday party a few days ago. Along with mountains of food there were the usual party games. I sat and watched while the kids ran around and played musical chairs amidst squeals of excitement. At the end of the game the winner proudly accepted her prize while we all clapped. However the next minute the child who lost was also given a prize much to my surprise. Later I asked the host why this was so and she replied that the child who lost shouldn’t feel bad. I walked away feeling dissatisfied with the whole event. As I was chatting with my five year old daughter later in the day I realized that this incident actually showed what was wrong with the current generation. We talk about how kids are growing up spoilt and with a sense of entitlement but aren’t we only responsible for this? In the attempt to prevent a child from feeling bad for losing in a game, what we are doing is telling the child that it’s okay to not make an effort to do better. While the child who’s won

Back to Work

I have always been someone who has enjoyed her work tremendously. Not only did I continue working throughout my pregnancy, I also was in office till the last day. So when I went on maternity leave I wondered how I would adjust to not having a routine to follow. What would mornings be like without getting ready for work?   Of course all these musings were before the baby came so I really had no idea what was in store. Still I spent the first month swinging between enjoying getting to know my baby and being frustrated at not having an office to go to. I was sure that when my leave ended I would be only too happy to be back at work. As days turned into weeks my little one changed from being just a crying, pooping, sleeping bundle into a person. She started exhibiting definite personality traits; engaging us in guessing who she inherited them from. She started sleeping more and crying less. She started figuring out that her hands and feet were attached to her body and she could move