Skip to main content

The Tale of Two Kids- A Balancing Act!

Someone once told me having one child makes you a parent but having two makes you a referee! What they forgot to mention was that having two kids also means four times the work.

My elder one was 3.5 years when my younger child arrived. All of a sudden it seemed that there were never enough hours in a day. Schedules went haywire, routines got disturbed, nights and days seemed to melt into a blur of sleepless, exhausting hours.

Does it get any easier? is a question friends who are contemplating a second child ask me. Yes, it does. But each new stage brings its own set of challenges. And there are two little beings who are growing up together, each reaching different milestones. So yes, it’s definitely a juggling act; one where you are perpetually scared of dropping the ball.

That doesn’t mean you don’t opt for a second baby if that’s what you have planned for. It just means that you need to be well-prepared for the chaos that will follow for a couple of years. From experience, I can say that these tips go a long way in easing things up.

Stick to a schedule. From the time I arrived home with my younger one, I started and stuck to a schedule which incorporated both kids. This not only made my elder child feel included in the routine, but it also gave her a sense of security that not everything had changed after the baby’s arrival.

Take help. We all love to manage things single-handedly but with two kids, that’s not always possible, at least not if you want to stay sane! There is no shame in taking help from your partner, in-laws, parents and even friends. If you can afford to and are comfortable with the idea, keep a nanny. Believe me, an extra pair of arms to hold the baby goes a long way in taking the burden off you.

Start exercising as soon as your body permits it. Even if you just go for a walk, do it. Not only will you feel better about yourself, but it will also give you some much needed ‘me time’. Remember, a happy mother raises happy kids!

Don’t allow yourself to be judged. While there may be many well-wishers who heap advice on you, be confident of the fact that, as a mom, you know what’s best for your kids. Every child is different, even two siblings are drastically different so don’t set your goals according to others’ expectations. Listen to everything and then sift and use only that which applies to you.

Give your older child extra attention. No matter what the age difference, it’s a huge adjustment for a child to suddenly have attention shift from him/her to another human. Try and ensure that you take time out to do something exclusively with your older child. You should also include him/her in things like helping you change the baby, getting clothes for the baby and other tasks which will make him/her feel a part of being an elder brother or sister.

Last but not the least, give youself a break. It’s okay to feel frustrated and irritated. There will be up days and down days and it shall pass. Keep telling yourself that each day that passes is a day closer to your baby being independent and before you know it, your refereeing days will be a thing of the past!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The 1st Step

It’s a journey which began with the news that I was pregnant.  While I was hoping for it, there was a frisson of apprehension which ran down my spine.  What next? What would I need to do now to ensure that the baby developed well? What to eat? What to avoid? How much to sleep? To exercise or not and how much? And thus began the saga of questions which is so much a part of becoming a parent. Nothing really prepares you for the months to follow. The nervous anticipation of the first visit to the doctor. The poignancy of the first ultrasound. The dread of the endless blood test reports. And of course all the horror stories of childbirth and delivery. Somewhere down the line I realised that the more I read and talked to people the more apprehensive I got. Everyone had something different to say; little snippets of wisdom which became a gigantic mass of nerves within me. Should I opt for a C-sec or a natural birth? Would I be able to withstand the pain? Should I take an epidural? The

Children and the Sense of Entitlement

I went to a kids’ birthday party a few days ago. Along with mountains of food there were the usual party games. I sat and watched while the kids ran around and played musical chairs amidst squeals of excitement. At the end of the game the winner proudly accepted her prize while we all clapped. However the next minute the child who lost was also given a prize much to my surprise. Later I asked the host why this was so and she replied that the child who lost shouldn’t feel bad. I walked away feeling dissatisfied with the whole event. As I was chatting with my five year old daughter later in the day I realized that this incident actually showed what was wrong with the current generation. We talk about how kids are growing up spoilt and with a sense of entitlement but aren’t we only responsible for this? In the attempt to prevent a child from feeling bad for losing in a game, what we are doing is telling the child that it’s okay to not make an effort to do better. While the child who’s won

Back to Work

I have always been someone who has enjoyed her work tremendously. Not only did I continue working throughout my pregnancy, I also was in office till the last day. So when I went on maternity leave I wondered how I would adjust to not having a routine to follow. What would mornings be like without getting ready for work?   Of course all these musings were before the baby came so I really had no idea what was in store. Still I spent the first month swinging between enjoying getting to know my baby and being frustrated at not having an office to go to. I was sure that when my leave ended I would be only too happy to be back at work. As days turned into weeks my little one changed from being just a crying, pooping, sleeping bundle into a person. She started exhibiting definite personality traits; engaging us in guessing who she inherited them from. She started sleeping more and crying less. She started figuring out that her hands and feet were attached to her body and she could move